Wondering when to send wedding invitations? We’ve got you covered. Here are some pointers about when to send wedding invitations as well as a few other tips for your wedding timeline:
- When to Send Wedding Invitations:
- About 6-8 weeks before your wedding. That will give your guests plenty of time to make travel arrangements and plan for house/pet/babysitting as well as hotel reservations.
- When to Send Wedding Invitations for a Destination Wedding:
- Send your destination wedding invitations 2-3 months before the date but REMEMBER you should also be sending save the dates 8-12 months before the date so guests have time to plan and budget.
- When to Ask for RSVPs:
- Your invitation should include a deadline for RSVPs, usually 3-4 weeks before your wedding day so you can make sure your guest count is as accurate as possible for the caterer. Caterers usually want a guest count two weeks before. It’s okay to ask guests who haven’t responded for their RSVPs. You can do this via phone call, text or email. If you have time, ask them to send you the physical RSVP card so you have all the information needed like meal option, plus one, etc. If you’re short on time, be sure to get that info and save it immediately.
Things to keep in mind when you’re deciding when to send wedding invitations:
- Save the Dates are a great “Heads up!” but not an acceptable replacement for wedding invitations. They can’t hold all the pertinent details that wedding invites can, including the time, accommodations, dress code, meal options, a return address and RSVP cards.
- Plan and design your wedding invitations as soon as you have all the details nailed down: you don’t want to send your wedding invitations out any later than you have to, and you want to give your guests accurate information.
Now that you have some insight into when to send wedding invitations, you can browse a great collection of invites to get unique ideas. Find a huge variety of styles, color schemes and layouts here at Invitations by Dawn, as well as more wedding tips and advice. Be sure to check out our thoughts on When to Send Save the Dates, Wedding Inspiration and more!