I know we need invitations, and I understand save the date cards, but what else does “wedding stationery” mean and why do I need it?
So much of wedding planning is like learning a whole new vocabulary! When it comes to wedding stationery, it really just means all the stationery stuff you’ll need for your big day. Rather than looking at individual pieces, choosing your wedding stationery can mean finding one style for everything. This gives some unity to what you send out, and can save you lots of stress. There are a few main pieces you’ll want to consider, but it’s worth remembering that not every couple needs every piece.
- Invitations: This is obviously the big one. This is what you use to invite your guests to your wedding. It can be a single piece, but is commonly sent with extra inserts that give your guests additional information they’ll need.
- Response cards: Also referred to as RSVP cards, these are the pieces your guests send back to say whether they will or won’t be attending your wedding.
- Map and accommodation cards: These give your guests information about where your wedding is, along with details of nearby accommodation and other travel-related details.
- Reception cards: If your reception is at a separate location, this card will tell your guests those details, including when and where they’ll need to be.
- Save the date cards: These are pretty self-explanatory, and are getting more popular. They can be used as engagement announcements, and are a way of letting your guests know that they will be invited to your wedding. They only need to include information about the date, but some couples will also choose to include some general location information to give guests a heads up about any travel they’ll need to plan.
- Thank you cards: This is another essential part of your wedding stationery. After your big day, you’ll want to send out thank you cards to everyone for their gifts and attendance.
- Programs: These are what get handed out at your wedding to let guests know the order of service for your ceremony, along with any other information they might need on the day.
- Escort cards/place cards: These are for use at your reception, and tell guests what table and seat they’re at for the meal.
- Menu cards: These are perfect for table service style meals, and allow your guests to know what their options are, or what they will be served.
- Bridal shower/bachelor party invitations: If you’re planning either type of party before your wedding, you’ll need to invite the guests with these cards.
- Rehearsal dinner invitations: These let your guests know that you want them at this traditional pre-wedding get together, along with the details of when and where it will be held.
While there are a lot of pieces of wedding stationery, remember that you might not need all of them. Choosing a single style for your wedding stationery, you make things easier on yourself. Of course, some couples do prefer to mix and match, which can be a great effect.
To find out more about the different pieces of wedding stationery that are available, or to check out the great styles we offer, visit Invitations By Dawn today!