I’m working on the wording for my invitation, but don’t know how to tell people what sort of clothes to wear. I know black tie is very formal, but what are the right terms for more casual attire?
The attire question is one that puzzles a lot of brides. Like you said, black tie is a very formal option, and there are a lot of variations for more casual styles. Here are the most common choices and what they mean.
- White tie: Men must be in tuxedos, and women must wear a full-length formal gown.
- Black tie optional: Men should be in tuxedos or dark suits, and women should wear evening gowns or formal wear.
- Cocktail: Men should wear suits or sport coats, and women should wear cocktail dresses. This can also be taken as less formal, though, as some experts say nice jeans are fine for men with this dress code.
- Formal or semi-formal: These two mean pretty much the same thing, and that’s high-end office attire. Men should wear suits and women should wear cocktail dresses.
- Beach or beach formal: Men should wear light suits or slacks and collared shirts, and women should wear sundresses or similar styles of cocktail dresses.
- Casual or business casual: While casual attire can mean anything goes, it will generally still indicate that guests should wear nice clothes, such as slacks and collared shirts, casual dresses, and similar.
- Costume: If you’re having a theme wedding and want guests to come in any sort of costume, you’ll need to be fairly specific. You should generally offer an alternative attire option for those who don’t want to dress up, though.
If you don’t say anything, guests will probably assume that they should dress either semi-formally or business casual. Even if you don’t really mind what guests wear, they will feel more comfortable if you give them some guidance.
The style of invitation you choose will also help your guests predict what they’ll need to wear. Check out the great selection of formal and casual wedding invitations available from Invitations By Dawn today!