The Knot stated that something old represents continuity. It’s meant to represent the bride’s family and link to the past. Many brides choose to have a bit of their grandmother’s or mother’s wedding dress incorporated into their outfit or bouquet. However, there are a few just as awesome alternatives:
- Vintage jewelry – Attach your grandmother’s diamond brooch to your bouquet or fix it into your wedding hair for the perfect finishing touch. TLC even suggested decorating the guest book table with special items like a vase or a tablecloth.
- Borrow a relative’s cake topper
- Wear your mother’s wedding band on your right hand during the ceremony
- A piece of your mother’s wedding dress sewn into the hem of yours
- Use a classic car for transportation
- Display photographs of previous generations at the reception
- A locket containing a picture of your grandparents
- Antique combs, pins or barrettes (think of Anne Hathaway’s character from “Bride Wars”)
Something new, however, represents something a little different. According to The Knot, this represents new optimism for the future. It stands for good luck and success as the bride ventures off into married life with her groom. Many brides go with their gown as something new – which works perfectly considering they’re usually wearing it for the first time! (I wonder if the groom would work for something new?). TLC said that even if your dress is new, you can opt for a vintage style that matches any antique heirloom accessories you’ll be wearing. Here are a few other awesome ideas for a bit of good luck on your wedding day:
- New jewelry (maybe a monogram necklace of your new initials!)
- Custom perfume
- New lipstick shade
- A key to your new home (hide in your bouquet)
- A lucky penny
Do you have anymore ideas for something old or something new? Share your thoughts with us!