For hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of years, common brides would wear their best or newest dresses, no matter what the color, and the wealthy would pull out all the stops with their richest, most deeply colored brocades, velvets and satins.
Then England’s Queen Victoria walked down the aisle in an extravagant white (gasp!) wedding gown in 1840 and changed the course of weddings forever. Nearly every bride since has dreamed of having that special, one-time-wear gown reserved for her special day, and she’s usually dreamed in white!
Why white? It’s the color of purity and loyal love. White isn’t technically a color, but the manifestation of the presence of all color, so it’s a perfect symbol of wholeness and completion.
Beyond that, it’s a great palette upon which to build a wedding theme! All-white weddings are anything but boring these days. When you incorporate different textures (satin and tulle, for instance), different shades of white (diamond white, vanilla tones or silvery sheens) and a variety of white elements (flowers, ribbons, fabrics and lighting), you’ll set the stage for a wedding that’s based in tradition but all about modern you!
We got inspired by white on white weddings and put together a look to give you great ideas. Read on!
1. This is what we mean by texture – just look at the beautiful embossing and satin ribbon on our Vintage Invitation!
2. All-white bouquets are making a comeback…with added details like feathers, unique greens and compact shapes.
3,5,7. Does your white wedding need a little sparkle? Choose items with touches of silver or another metallic for a rich look that doesn’t detract from your white color scheme. Check out our Love Guest Book (#3), Love Unity Candle (#5) and White Napkins printed with a matching design in silver foil.
4. Warm up a white wedding by choosing shades that delve into the cream, ecru and ivory end of the spectrum.
6. Fussy not your style? White lets you be as sleek as you want! Take this cake, for example: a few rounded layers, smooth fondant frosting and a topper of white flowers. Gorgeous.
8. The stage is set and you’re about to discover the most wonderful thing about an all-white wedding: how the smallest accents of color, metallic items, texture and sparkle absolutely “pop!”
Go ahead – make your day a white wedding fantasy. We can’t wait to see the personal touches you add! Share your ideas and photos on our Facebook page.