1. Give children a role to play at the wedding ceremony and reception. Children can be ushers, they can hand out programs and they can give the guests ribbon streamers or wedding rice after the ceremony. Kids can also manage the guest book at the reception or pass out wedding favors.
2. Designate a separate seating area for children. This will allow kids to talk and play with each other without driving their parents crazy (it’s true, you know it). Smaller tables and kid-friendly décor can make the area cozy and welcoming.
3. Wedding reception activities for kids can include activity books, coloring books and kid-friendly puzzles. If you’re having a separate area for children at your wedding, provide games and an area to play them on the floor or at a separate table. You can even download activity books for free. We like the free children’s activity books available at April Foster Events and the Bells and Bouquets Blog.
4. Give children kid-friendly favors like toy cars, stuffed animals, bubble necklaces, balloons, etc. Anything that children can play with (without getting into too much trouble) is a great way to keep them happy at the wedding reception.
5. Wedding reception activities can also include hiring someone to entertain the children (and the adults, for that matter). Balloon artists, caricature artists, clowns and magicians are all great options. The children will love you forever!