Why have a destination wedding? You’re not into the hometown church ceremony and hotel ballroom wedding reception. You’re longing for a unique wedding experience. You want an escape to paradise.
Need more convincing? Didn’t think so! Destination beach weddings are the ultimate in romance – the sea and the sand and the sunsets and the sailing all become the setting for a carefree way to say, “I do.” Here are some tips to help get your planning started.
- Unless you’re very familiar with the location of your destination wedding and can book your venue, hotel rooms, caterer, officiant, florist and baker on your own, it’s best to book a wedding package through a resort or hotel. They’ll provide everything you need to celebrate with style…and without stress!
- Book your destination wedding location early, especially if you’re getting away during the winter months when it’s high tourist season.
- As soon as you’ve got all the details squared away, send out a beach theme save the date to give guests an introduction to paradise and give them plenty of time to plan their travel.
- Then send your beach wedding invitations! Go with photo wedding invitations for personality or with a sand and sea design to really get guests ready for your vows on the shore.
- Plan to use local sources for food, beverages and flowers so you’ll surround yourselves and your guests with the essence of the location.
- Reserve fun activities like beach bonfires, snorkeling, sailboat rides and fishing for your guests to enjoy.
And just think of all the easy decorating fun you’ll have!
- Use local flowers and plants for an exotic, lush look.
- Line your sandy aisle on the beach with seashells.
- Incorporate starfish and seashells into your floral arrangements, bouquets, boutonnieres and even into your hairstyle accents.
- Draw a heart in the sand for you to stand inside during the ceremony.
- Fill large cylinders half-way with sand, top with some shells and place candles inside – the glow will be naturally romantic.
- Bring unassembled favor boxes (easy to pack!) from home to fill with local goodies when you get to your destination. Personalized napkins also add a great touch to your bar and reception and are easy to bring along with you.
Then count the days until your big escape!
Photo credit: ">Leslee Mitchell Photography