Your maid of honor or matron of honor. The mighty MOH. Maybe you’re bound by a pinkie swear you made in first grade with your best friend that you’d be each other’s. Or your sister will claim that title. Or you just can’t decide – and have a maid AND matron of honor (happens all the time!).
Being a MOH is, indeed, an honor. But she will also need to be your back up, your second in command, your lady in waiting and your main supporter during the planning and at the wedding itself. So make sure that special girl is up to the tasks she’ll be assigned before you ask her.
Those tasks are outlined below. Of course, you’ll customize them to your unique wedding. But you’ll get a good idea of what to ask your MOH to do with you and to take care of behind the scenes.
Maid of Honor / Matron of Honor Duties
- is on call during all your wedding planning joys and stresses
- offers an extra set of hands for addressing invitations, putting together wedding favors and filling out place cards
- makes shopping for your wedding gown fun
- has a great time shopping for her and the attendants’ dresses
- spreads the word about where you’re registered for gifts
- organizes a wedding shower and a bachelorette party
- takes notes about who gave what gift at the shower
- delegates jobs and tasks to bridesmaids as needed
- is a calm presence at the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner
- helps you get into your dress the day of the wedding
- stands beside you at the ceremony and holds the groom’s rings
- takes charge of your bouquet during the ceremony
- keeps an eye on your dress train and veil and adjusts them as needed
- makes it legal with her signature on the marriage license
- gives a hilarious and tear-jerking toast at the wedding reception
- rallies the guests and encourages them to take part in the reception fun
You already know the person who’s up to this assignment, don’t you? Be sure to ask her in a fun way that pampers her and makes her feel extra special, like sending her flowers with a note asking her the big question, taking her out for a her-and-you-only happy hour in an awesome club or dropping off a gorgeous gift at her house as a surprise.
Then get ready to have a fun wedding adventure together!